SSLC ENGLISH QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Unit II: The Frames) Lesson 5: My Sister’s Shoes

Textbooks Solution for Class 10th English Unit 02 The Frames | Text Books Solution STD X English Lesson 05 My Sister’s Shoes | ELEGANT MODULE
My Sister’s Shoes - Textual Questions and Answers & Model Questions
Review  
A review is an in-depth analysis of a literary piece of work. It makes a comprehensive discussion on the plot, characters, theme, feeling and background
of the work 
 
My sister’s shoe depicts four scenes of a family drama of the film ‘Children of
heaven’ by Majid Majidi. Prepare a review of the screenplay. 

‘Children of Heaven’ is a touching play directed by the renowned Iranian filmmaker Majid Majidi. My sister’s shoe is an extract taken from the screenplay of ‘Children of Heaven’. Four important scenes are well presented in the play. The family’s precarious condition and financial constraints are beautifully indicated in the play. The shopkeeper demanded money from Ali to pay off their debt. He said that their borrowing had crossed the limit. They could not even pay the rent.  
Ali is depicted as the main character in the play that belongs to a poor Iranian family. He is presented as a lovable, hardworking, devoted and sincere boy who always cares about his parents and his beloved sister in the film. He was busy at the beginning of the film at a cobbler’s shop. He had to repair his sister’s shoe. So
Ali took the shoe of his sister Zahra to the cobbler.  He places the bag of shoes in the small gap between two boxes. After collecting the vegetable, he noticed that his
bag was not seen there. The junk collector came and took thinking that it was garbage. 
Ali came home desperately and told Zahra that he had missed her shoes. She was stunned and shocked to hear the loss of her favourite shoes. She could not believe
this tragic news. She was being comforted by Ali. He told her not to tell their father about the loss of shoes. Zahra agreed but the loss of shoes frustrated much and she could not think about going to school without her shoes. She was fully aware that buying shoes were beyond their means. She agreed to go to school by wearing his sneakers.   
The play focuses on the values like love, patience, affection, consideration and gives much importance to family relationships. The author beautifully depicts the family adjustment, cooperation and mutual understanding in the play which are necessary to have in society. 

Profile 
A profile is a short description of a person’s life and career. It highlights the personal details and major achievements of the person described.   Given data should be
prioritized and linked logically.  
Points to Ponder 
✓ Give a title –usually the name  of the person,
✓ Use only the details provided: don’t add extra details or don’t skip the given details.
✓ Organize the given data logically and coherently.
✓ Use appropriate linkers and cohesive devices wherever necessary.
✓ Develop the hints in well-formed sentences using supporting details.
✓ Use appropriate descriptive words.
✓ Should be concise and precise. 
Key points  
➢ Gives a suitable title 
➢ Write effective introduction and conclusion  
➢ Use proper linkers to connect the ideas  
➢ Use all the given hints with the correct language
➢ Use appropriate descriptive words 

Prepare a short profile of MajidMajidi using the hints given below  
Born: April 17, 1959 
Education: Institute of Dramatic Arts, Tehran 
Known as: Film director, Producer, Screenwriter 
Famous Films: Children of Heaven (1997), The Color of Paradise(1999) Baran (2001), the willow Tree (2005) 
Awards: Grand Prix Award 
Nomination: Children of Heaven, for the Academy Award for the best foreign-language film.

Majid Majidi
Majid Majidi was born on 17 April 1959.  He started his film career as an actor.  
Majidi has touched on many themes and genres and has won numerous International Awards. He has directed several films including ‘the Colour Paradise’ (1999), ChildrenHeavan (1997), Baran (2001), The Willow Tree (2005)etc. in 1998, Majidi directed the film ‘Children of Heaven “which was nominated for the Academy Award for the Best Foreign Language Film. This is the first Iranian film to have been nominated by the Academy.

Notice 
Following points to be taken into consideration before preparing a notice 
➢ what is the programme/ event/function 
➢ who conducts the programme/ event/function 
➢ when is the programme/event/function  
➢ where is the programme/event/function
➢ Date and place  of the notice issuing authority
➢ conclude with the signature and name of the issuing authority 
1. The Theatre Club of your school has decided to stage the play “My sister’s shoe” at your school.  Prepare a notice with all the details inviting the students to participate in the programme. 
CONVERSATION  
Dialogue is a special kind if oral communication tool employing distinctive skills to achieve mutual understanding and mutual trust and respect.  It allows you to use 
your creative writing skills by visualizing the scene of an incident and accordingly
writing the conversation that would possibly take place in that particular situation.  

Things to keep in mind while writing a conversation 
➢ You could begin with a greeting depending on the situation given.
➢ Filler here and it is welcome.
➢ Avoid wring longer sentences
➢ Stick to a maximum of six exchanges. 
1. Read the following conversation between Zahra and Ali  
Zahra: Where is my shoe? 
Ali: I missed it. 
Zahra: don’t make me angry  
Ali: surely. It has been missing. 
Zahra: How did you miss it? 
Ali: I kept it in a shop. But it was not there.  
Zahra: How can I go to school? 
Ali:  You can wear my shoe. 
Zahra: I don’t want your shoe. 
Ali:  I am really sorry for it. You have to wear it. 
Zahra: I am tensed up. 
Ali: Don’t worry, I will find it. 
Zahra:  OK.  

DIARY WRITING  
Diary entry is an informal and personal kind of writing. It is meant to record certain significant events, personal experiences, daily happenings and feelings of one’s life. 

POINTS TO REMEMBER 
Begin the entry with a general sentence describing the day or momentary feelings. In the body, you may discuss an event, your feelings towards it. Conclude with final
remark and future course of action
➢ You should write as if you have really been a part of the situation. 
➢ It is written in the first person. 
➢ One does not write about things experienced on a daily basis. Only matters
➢ of some significance are recorded
➢ It is a secret record of one’s life, so one can be very honest about one’s feelings and emotions. 
➢ Creativity, imagination and expression in diary writing are tested.
➢ The description has to be clear but brief
➢ They have to be expressed in a logical way 
 
FORMAT
➢ Date/day
➢ Salutation ‘Dear Diary’
➢ Heading of the entry
➢ Contents of the diary entry
➢ Signature 
1. Ali felt very sad when he reached home without his sister’s shoe. He was sad and upset to see her unhappy face and he could not bear the plight sight of his crying sister. He wrote down his feelings and thoughts in his diary entry 

21st July 2021 Monday
It is an unforgettable day in my life. I am sad and upset.  My sister’s shoe is missing. It is her favourite shoe. How can I meet her without her shoe? I don’t want to see her unhappy face. it is a tragic situation in my life. I add misery to my family. I hate myself. It is my carelessness. She can’t go to school without her shoes. How can I tell my father? I am scared of my father. He will beat both of us hard. He can’t buy new shoes as he is in deep financial trouble. Oh!  My God, please help me.

2. Zahra writes down the diary expressing her feelings and thoughts after losing her shoe.
22nd July2021  Wednesday 
It is an unpleasant day in my life. I can’t remember this day at all. It was my precious shoe. I kept it as a treasure in my life. My hope is grim and severe. Ali lost my shoes in the market. We belong to a poverty-stricken family. My father is not a good financial condition. He is desperately searching for money to conduct surgery for my mother. No one will help me to buy a new pair of shoes. Whom can I approach?  My father has no money to buy new shoes. How can I go to school without my shoes? My friends will make fun of me when I go to school without my shoes. It is my cruel fate. God is great.

INFORMAL LETTER 

1. Ali was shocked after missing his sister Zahra’s shoe. He writes a letter to his friend describing his difficulty. 
Main Street 
Iran.
15th JULY2021.
My dear friend,  
How are you? Hope you are fine. I am writing this letter seeking your help and guidance. I am very sad and confused. We are a very poor family.  My sister’s shoes had been missed at the vegetable shop. I should have been responsible for this. It was my mistake. I made all the effort to find it.  But it was in a vain effort to recover the lost shoe. I can’t share this one to anyone except you. I am confident that you will support me. My father has no money to buy a  new shoe. I am in deep trouble. Please help me. 
Convey my best regards to all at home. 
Yours lovingly, 
Name 

2. Zahra writes a letter to her close friend expressing sad over her missing shoe 
Lovely Hills,
Tehran 
12th August 2021
Dear Saleena,
How are you? Hope you are fine. I am sad and upset. I lost my shoes.  I can’t go to school without my shoes. What will I tell my mother? My father will beat me. He can’t buy new shoes. Now he is in deep financial trouble. Your guidance and help will reduce my stress and anguish. I don’t find any way to trace the shoe. All my hope has been dashed off.  You can find a better solution for this.  Please come up with a better way to get away from this grim problem. I am eagerly waiting for your letter. 
Convey my love to all at home. 
Yours lovingly, 
Name

FORMAL LETTER  

1.  After realizing that the shoes were missing.  Suppose Ali goes to the police station and files a complaint.  Prepare the likely letter 
Meena Bazar,
Tehran 
12th January 2021.
 
The Chairman, 
City traffic, Tehran.
Dear Sir, 
I would like to inform you that my sister shoes have been missing since morning. I had gone to Ali akka’s general stores near the corporation building at 10.00 am to buy vegetables. I kept my repaired shoes between the loaded sacks placed in front of the store.  After buying the potatoes, I was shocked to see that my shoes were missing. It was a pair of pink shoes from Adidas. I could find only the junk collector there. I do strongly believe that he might have taken the shoes from the garbage by mistake. We cannot afford to buy new shoes as we belong to a poor family. 
I kindly request you to trace out my shoes at the earliest. I shall be highly obliged to you if you are kind enough in this matter. 
Thank you  
Yours faithfully,
Ali 

2. Zahra happens to read the educational grants given to single girl child by the Iranian Government. She decided to draft a letter demanding the same. Prepare the likely letter 
New Apartment 20
New Street
Tehran 
20th August 2021. 
The Manager, 
H.R. Department, Tehran 
Sub: - Application for an educational loan for a single girl child. 
Dear Sir, 
I belong to a poor family and live with my parents in a rented home in Tehran. My father is an ordinary labourer and my mother is bedridden. They are struggling hard to make both ends meet.  We are going through difficult circumstances. I am in need of an educational loan privileged for a single girl child by the Government. It will help me to continue my studies. As I am the lone hope of the family, it will help me to support my family.  All the required documents are enclosed here for your kind consideration and favourable orders.  
I, therefore earnestly request you to consider my request favourably at the earliest. 
I shall be highly obliged to you for your kind consideration. 
Thank you 
Yours sincerely,
Zahra 

My Sister’s Shoes (Screenplay) Textual Questions and Answers

1. The scene begins with a close-up shot. What frame would a filmmaker normally use when the characters (Cobbler &Ali) speak?
Answer: Medium shot

2. Apart from the cobbler’s shop what other details do you get about the space in which the actions in Scene 1 take place?
Answer: A street. A door with a curtain hanging on it appears to open into a row house.

3. How many characters are introduced in scene 1? Who are they?
Answer: Three, Cobbler, Ali and a man with a parcel.

4. In scenes 1 and 2 close up shots of the hands of the cobbler and Ali are shown. Do they serve any purpose? Explain.
Answer: They are in close up because they emphasize the work they are doing. It will show what kinds of people are expected in the film. Such shots establish the groundwork for the story to take off.

5. Where is the location shifted to?
Answer: The location is shifted to a footpath outside the bakery.

6. What could be the camera movement in this scene? Why is the camera moved in this manner?
Answer: Boom/Crane shot. To show that the junk collector is * taking away the bundle of shoes.

7. What are the events taking place in scene 3?
Answer: Ali goes to the vegetable shop. He takes potatoes and asks the shopkeeper to write them in the account. A junk collector comes and collects the junk. He thinks the bundle of shoes is also part of the junk, he throws it into his cart. In his eagerness to locate the bundle, Ali scatters vegetables on the ground. The shopkeeper is angry and tells Ali to get lost.

8. Which of the events is crucial in bringing about a twist tn the narrative?
Answer: The taking away of the bundle of shoes by the junk collector.

9. What impression do you get about the financial status of Ali’s family? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Answer: Ali’s family is very poor. We see Ali buying things on credit. The shopkeeper tells Ali that the credit limit has reached and he should ask his mother to pay at least part of the payment due to him.

10. What interesting strategy does the director make use of in presenting the ‘talks’ between Ali and his sister? Why do you think they communicate in such a way?
Answer: They communicate by writing in the notebook and then passing the notebook to the other. They do that because they don’t want to let the parents know about the loss of the shoes.

11. Do you think the sound of a hammer is used deliberately in this scene? What effect does it produce?
Answer: Yes, it is used deliberately. It tells us that the father of Ali is a worker with wood (joiner or carpenter) as he is chopping wooden flints with a hammer on a block.

12. Apart from showing the characters, does the director make use of any visual image to add to what he intends to communicate?
Answer: Yes, he does. As an example, we see the passing of the notebook between Ali and Zahra. They don’t want their parents to know about the loss of the shoes. Ali will be scolded or even beaten if his father comes to know that he was careless enough to lose the shoes of Zahra. Ali’s father is not rich enough to buy her another pair immediately.

Write a script for a short video on any one of the following themes. (Or, you may choose a theme other than those listed.) You may shoot it using a digital camera and upload it on YouTube.

13. Leadership Quality, Unity of People, Incidents of Bravery, Child Labour, Evils of Smoking or Alcoholism, Wasting Food, Need for Social Change, Safe Driving, Preservation of Nature, Learning Disorders in Children, Values, Safe Earth, Save Tiger, Global Warming.
Answer: The following points may help you.

1. Watch other people’s films You can teach yourself a lot about filmmaking by watching: short online videos, advertisements, feature films, etc. Look at what you like, and what you don’t like, and try and work out how and why the filmmaker made it that way.

2. Build your skills Learn how to use a camera and find out what it can do when you place it in different angles or use different lens settings. Try shooting different kinds of shots with your camera, recording good sound, and editing them. Watch a short scene from a film you like and see if you can copy it exactly.

3. Get organised Once you’ve got your idea, create a script and storyboards or shot lists. Use a digital still camera if you are not able to prepare the storyboard.

4. Keep it short and simple Have you got a strong idea? Write the idea down for your film in 50 to 75 words. If you can’t do that, it’s not clear enough. Keep the film short. People are more likely to watch an online video if they know it’s only 60  seconds long.

5. Shoot separate shots Learn the different shot sizes. Use a variety of shots rather than just panning and zooming. Use plenty of close up shots to show the important things. Place your camera in different angles and not just from the front.

6. Get the sound right A good movie with a bad soundtrack will lose viewers faster than bad movies with a good soundtrack. Use a microphone to record the sound right. If the sound cannot be recorded right, then fake it using sound effects, or edit our film to a recorded voiceover.

7. Edit it right Editing is an interesting job. It’s not about just getting rid of the bad stuff, it’s where your film will really come together. Get the pace right: make sure your film doesn’t drag, or that shots don’t flash past too quickly. Make sure your film makes sense. You can seek the help of technicians in this field if necessary.




ഈ ബ്ലോഗിലെ എല്ലാ പോസ്റ്റുകളും ഒരുമിച്ച് കാണാനും ആവശ്യമുള്ളവ എളുപ്പത്തിൽ തിരഞ്ഞെടുക്കാനും ഇവിടെ ക്ലിക്കുക.

PSC Solved Question Papers ---> Click here 
PSC TODAY's EXAM RESULTS ---> Click here
PSC EXAM PROGRAMME -> Click here
CURRENT AFFAIRS QUESTIONS -> Click here
PSC Degree Level Questions & Answers - Click here
PSC 10th, +2 Level Questions & Answers - Click here
PSC SHORTLISTS -> Click here
PSC RANK LISTS -> Click here
TEACHING APTITUDE TEST (K-TET, C-TET,, etc.) ---> Click here