Class 5 English Unit 01 The Mirror - Questions and Answers 


Study Notes for Class 5th English Unit 01 The Mirror | Text Books Solution STD V English Unit 01 The Mirror 

SCERT Solutions for STD V English Chapterwise

Chapter 01: The Mirror 
Teaching Manual & Handbook

The Mirror  - Textual Questions and Answers & Model Questions
DISCOURSES BASED ON THE LESSON THE MIRROR

* Describe the island. 
The island where the fisherman and his wife lived was very lonely. People led a quiet and simple life there. They had no television, no mobile phones, no newspapers and no electricity. They had no hairbrush and no mirrors. They came to know about the outside world only through the ships that
passed them. The sailors threw out old worn out brushes, broken buckets and torn shoes. The islanders collected them. 

* The fisherman was really sad, thinking about his dead father. While walking along the shore, he felt sad. Prepare his thoughts. 
Today seems to be a sunny day. How many days have gone since I walked along this shore... I was so sad because my father died. I could never see him again. He was so good and loving. I really miss my father. l can't forget my dear father ever. I feel alone in his absence. Oh... God let his soul rest in peace. 

* The fisherman was really surprised at the wonderful thing he got from the shore. What were his thoughts while going back home? 
God, I don't know what this thing is! It shines brightly. I was so scared to look at it. But I think this is magical because I can see my father. When I smile at him he too smiles back and I feel that is wonderful. I feel very happy too because I can always watch my father and see him smiling. I will go home and show this wonderful thing to my wife. I know she would scream in joy when she sees my father in it. But I will not give this to anyone. 

* Write a speech on the topic "Are we depending on modern devices too much" 
Good morning everyone. 
Today I feel excited to stand in front of you to speak a few words on a very important topic. It is about modern devices. We all know that we use a lot of modern devices in our day to day life to make it easier.
We have T.V,mobile phone,laptops,i -pods etc. These devices are useful to save time and give us more comfort. But my dear friends, let me remind you that everything has got its positive and negative. We live in a society that moves very fast. Our life also is very busy. We may need shortcuts. If anything is used more than what is needed, becomes a vice. Hence we should be careful in our use. If these are used without addiction, our life could be improved. Otherwise, we may become slaves to it and then a
lot of problems will disturb us. There are health and mind related problems too. So my dear friends, let us use these with much care. 

1. Fill up    
a. The fisherman was walking along the ……………
Answer:  seashore
b. He lived in an   ……………
Answer: island
c. Another word for crazy ……………
Answer: stupid
d. Another word for weird ……………
Answer: strange
e. What did the fisherman take to his home …………
Answer: mirror

2. Find the speaker of these sentences  


3. Arrange these sentences in proper order                                             
a. The mirror is broken into pieces.
b. He showed it to his wife.
c. A quarrel followed.
d. A fisherman lived on an island.
e. He got a mirror from the seashore
Answer: d,e,b,a,c   
 
4. The story ends with the sentence, `The pieces reflected their images’.      
The fisherman and his wife did not speak for some time. Then they started a conversation. Write the conversation between them. 
Fisherman: See this, our images are reflected in these pieces.
Wife: Yes, I can see.
Fisherman: How fool I am.
Wife: I am too…… 
Fisherman: We should not have quarrelled.
‘Wife: Yes, You are right.     
5. Prepare a conversation between the fisherman and his wife about the mirror.
Fisherman: Are you there,? 
Wife: Yes. Why are you shouting? 
Fisherman: Come fast
Wife: What's the matter? 
Fisherman: Do you want to see something? 
Wife: Yes I do
Fisherman: Look at this!
Wife: What's this? 
Fisherman: A shining picture
Wife: Let me see
Fisherman: You may.
Wife: Oh... It's wonderful. 

6. After the mirror has broken into pieces, the fisherman and his wife started talking again. Prepare a conversation. 
Fisherman: I'm sorry my dear. 
Wife: It's ok
Fisherman: I thought I was right. 
Wife: I too thought the same
Fisherman: It was not my father's picture 
Wife: It was not my mother's picture as well
Fisherman: I'm sad that I broke it. 
Wife: It's fine because we found the real thing 
Fisherman: It was a mirror. 
Wife: Yes. It was a mirror.      

Given below are some questions to practice comprehension. 

1. Where did the fisherman and his wife live?
The fisherman and his wife lived on a lonely island. 

2. What kind of an island was it? 
It was a lonely island. People had no television, no newspapers, no mobile phones, no hairbrushes and mirrors. 

3. How did the people live there? 
The people on this island lived a simple and quiet life. 

4. Find out a word that means calm. 
Quiet

5. Connect the sentences using "and"
Ex. They had no hairbrushes
They had no mirrors.
Answer: They had no hairbrushes and mirrors. 
a) They had no newspapers 
They had no television 
b) They had no mobile phones 
They had no electricity.

6. Match the following 
Worn-out          Shoes
Broken            Toothbrush 
Torn                   Buckets 

7. How do the islanders know about the world outside? 
The islanders know about the outside world only through the ships that passed. The sailors threw out old worn out toothbrushes and broken buckets and torn shoes. The islanders collected them when they came ashore. 

8. What was the fisherman doing one day? 
The fisherman was walking along the shore. 

9. What was he thinking about? 
He was thinking about his dead father. 
10. Suddenly a flash of light fell on his eyes. Something shining was lying on the shore.  How did the fisherman react? 
The fisherman was very surprised to see a thing that was shining. He was scared to go near it. 

11. He picked it up.. What does it stand for? 
It stands for the mirror. 

12. What did he see in it? 
He saw his father's picture in it

13. Why did he see his father's picture in the mirror? 
He saw his father's picture because he never saw his face and he looks like his father. 

14. Why did he thank God? 
He thanked God because he could always see his father. 

15. How did his wife react? 
His wife was thrilled to see her mother. 

16. Why did her mother look younger in the mirror? 
Her mother looked younger in the mirror because it was not her mother. It was the fisherman's wife. She looks exactly like her mother. 

17. Why did she grab the mirror from him? 
The fisherman said that he saw his father's picture in it and she can't believe it because she saw her mother in it. So she wanted to make sure whose is the real picture. 

17. How did they break the mirror?
The fisherman and his wife were fighting with each other, trying to snatch the mirror. They didn't believe each other. The mirror fell down and it broke. 

18. What did they realize when they saw their reflection in the mirror? 
They realized that it was not the picture of his father or her mother. But it was a mirror. 




PSC Solved Question Papers ---> Click here 
PSC TODAY's EXAM RESULTS ---> Click here
PSC EXAM PROGRAMME -> Click here
CURRENT AFFAIRS QUESTIONS -> Click here
PSC Degree Level Questions & Answers - Click here
PSC 10th, +2 Level Questions & Answers - Click here
PSC SHORTLISTS -> Click here
PSC RANK LISTS -> Click here
TEACHING APTITUDE TEST (K-TET, C-TET,, etc.) ---> Click here