STD 5 English Unit 5 The Great Adventure, Rikki Tikki Tawi, Bed in Summer - Complete Questions and Answers | Teaching Manual & Teachers Handbook


Study Notes for Class 5 English Unit 05 The Great Adventure | Text Books Solution STD V English Unit 05 The Great Adventure - The Great Adventure, Rikki Tikki Tawi, Bed in Summer Questions and Answers 
ഈ യൂണിറ്റിന്റെ Teaching Manual, Teachers Handbook എന്നിവയുടെ ലിങ്ക് ഏറ്റവും താഴെയായി നൽകിയിട്ടുണ്ട്, അവയുടെ pdf file ഡൗൺലോഡ് ചെയ്യാം.

ഈ യൂണിറ്റിലെ മുഴുവൻ ചോദ്യോത്തരങ്ങളും പഠനപ്രവർത്തനങ്ങളും താഴെ നൽകിയിട്ടുണ്ട്. 

Chapter 05: The Great Adventure - Textual Questions and Answers & Activities
I. The Great Adventure

1. Why do the children in Totto-chan’s school seek permission to climb a tree?
Answer: The children in Tomoe imagined that each tree in the school ground belonged to a particular child. They considered their trees as their own private property. So they had to seek permission to climb other's trees.

2. Have you ever climbed a tree? How did you feel then?
Answer: Yes, once I climbed a tree. It was a very exciting experience. Though I was scared while climbing, I felt so proud and happy when I reached up.

3. Do you have your own tree in school or at home? If not, can you think of planting one?
Answer: Yes, I have a mango tree at my home. I climb it and sit in the forks. I like to read stories sitting in the tree.

4. Why did Tottochan invite Yasuaki-chan to climb her tree?
Answer:  Yasuaki-Chan had polio and he never climbed a tree. He didn't have a tree of his own. That is why Totto-Chan invited Yasuaki-Chan to climb her tree.

5. How will Tottochan help Yasuaki-chan?
Answer: Totto-Chan will let Yasuaki-Chan climb her tree. She will give him support and confidence and thus he will be able to climb the tree.

6. Totto-chan told a lie to her mother. But she revealed the truth to Rocky. What might be the reason?
Answer: Totto-Chan knew that if she told her mother about their plan, her mother would never let her do such an adventure. But Rocky would not stop her from helping Yasuaki- Chan. Moreover, she used to tell all the interesting things that happened in the school to her pet dog, Rocky.

7. Pick out the sentence that describes how Yasuaki-chan walked?
Answer: When Yasuaki-Chan saw Totto-Chan, he hurried toward her, dragging his leg and holding his arms out in front to steady himself.

8. Why did Totto-chan and Yasuaki -chan giggle?
Answer: Both Yasuaki-chan and Totto-chan were thrilled to think that they were going to do something secret and they both giggled.

9. How will Totto-chan help him climb the tree?
Answer: Totto-Chan may pull Yasuaki-Chan slowly up the ladder or she will stand beside the ladder and push him up from behind.

10.  What might be the idea?
Answer: Totto-Chan may use a step ladder which is safe and more convenient than an ordinary ladder.

11. What would you do if you were in Totto’s position?
Answer: If I were in the position of Totto-Chan, I would seek the help of my best friend who would not tell our secret to anyone.

12. ‘While dragging the ladder, Tottochan was amazed at her own strength.’ Why?
Answer: The stepladder is too heavy for a little girl like Totto chan to lift.

13. Would it be easy for Yasuakichan to get onto the tree?
Answer: No, even the sight of the stepladder made Yasuaki chan nervous and he began to sweat at the thought of climbing the tree.

14. Have you ever helped your friends like this?
Answer: Yes, I helped my friends when they were in need.

15.  Totto-chan felt like crying. But she did not cry. Why?
Answer: Totto chan feared that if she cried, Yasuaki chan might start crying, too. So she didn't cry.

16. Totto was risking her life for Yasuaki chan. What does this tell us about
Totto-chan?
Answer: Totto chan wanted so badly to have Yasuaki chan on to her tree and he trusted her completely. Tottochan's sincerity and readiness to help others are expressed here.

17. How did the clouds help them?
Answer: The clouds would mercifully protect them from the blistering sun.

18. Yasuaki-chan was climbing a tree for the first time in his life. What could his feeling be?
Answer: When Yasuaki chan was able to see vistas he had never glimpsed before, he became very happy.

Let’s review the story
1. Do you like Totto-chan's school? Why?
Answer: Yes, I like Totto chan's school very much. The students at that school each had a tree in the school ground. So there are a large number of trees in the school ground. The school has a natural atmosphere.

2. Why is climbing a tree interesting for the children?
Answer: Children's spirit of adventure and curiosity to see nature from the top of a tree make climbing a tree very interesting.

3. Totto-chan cared for others very much. Pick out sentences from the story that show this.
Answer: 
'Now don't be afraid'. She said in a big sisterly voice.
She suddenly felt like crying. But she didn't cry. She feared that if she did, Yasuaki chan might start crying, too.
Then she said, ' Lie down. I'll try to pull you over.

4. ‘If any grown-ups had seen the scene, they would have let out a scream.’ Why would the grown-ups do so?
Answer: Even grown-ups would never take the risk of helping a child who had been stricken by polio, climbing a tree. The grown-ups always concerned about the safety of the children. So if any grown-ups had seen the scene, they would have let out a scream.

5. Did the children know that they were risking their lives?
Answer: No, the children were not aware of the danger in their act. Totto chan forgot everything when she thought of poor boy's helplessness. Yasuaki chan, on the other hand, was thrilled when he got a chance to climb a tree like other children.

6. Was Totto-chan right in making Yasuaki-chan climb the tree? Why?
Answer: Yes, Totto chan did the right thing. Being suffering from polio, Yasuaki chan couldn't climb the tree alone. She never bothered about the danger in her deed. She only wanted to share the happiness.

7. Totto-chan climbed the tree. Later she made her friend climb the tree. Which experience do you think made her more happy? Why?
Answer: Helping Yasuaki chan to climb the tree made her more happy. Then she was sharing her happiness with him. She always cared for others and tried to make them happy.

 Let’s write
1. Prepare the diary entry of  Yasuaki-chan on the day he climbed the tree.
05 Jan 2022
Monday
Today was a very memorable day for me. As a handicapped child, I have so many limitations in my life. I used to feel sad when I saw my friends climbing their trees. Today, my friend helped me to climb her tree I never thought I could do that with my weak legs. While sitting on the tree, I felt I was on top of the world. I am blessed to have a friend like her. I can never forget this day.

2. You have read the passage. Now tell something about Tottochan.
• What kind of a girl is she?
• Do you want to be like her?
• Is she brave and helpful by nature?
• She wanted to cry but she did not. Why?
Go through the passage once again.  After reading every paragraph, you can write one or two sentences about Totto. Finally you will get a write-up on Totto-chan.
Give a title to your note on Totto.  You may draw her picture too.
A Friend in need
Totto chan is a girl, ready to help others always. She showed great concern for Yasuaki chan, one of her classmates with physical disability. When he felt sad, she gave him confidence and encouraged to climb the tree. She is a role model for all of us to help others.

3. Totto-chan decided to invite Yasuaki-chan to climb her tree.
What would their conversation be?
Totto: Yasuaki, Why are you sitting here alone? Shall we play?
Yasuaki: It's Ok, You go and play, I will sit here. 
Totto: Come Yasuaki, all are climbing their trees. Let's climb.
Yasuaki: You go Totto. I don't have a tree., and it will be very difficult to climb a tree 
Totto: I will help you. But keep it as a secret. 
Yasuaki: Thank you Totto.

4. Make a speech congratulating Totto for encouraging Yasuaki-chan to climb the tree.
Good morning to all. Respected teachers and my dear friends.
Today we all are gathered here to congratulate our friend Totto. Totto helped Yasuaki, our classmate who is suffering from Polio. When all of us climb our trees, Yasuaki was sitting alone in the bench. Totto noticed and offered her help to him. She helped him to overcome his limitations. She is a role model for all of us to help others.

5. The children in Totto-chan's school loved and protected trees very much. What do you do to protect trees in your school? Write about it.
• Plant more and more trees. 
• Water the saplings daily. 
• Conduct motivation classes to protect nature.
• Celebrate environment day year and organize various programmes.
every

II. Rikki Tikki Tawi

Check how well you have read
Hope you have gone through the story ‘Rikki Tikki Tawi’.
Here are some pictures based on the story.
Sequence the pictures in the order the events happened in the
story and number them.
Describe each picture.
1. Teddy, a young boy of ten, ran out into the garden. He saw a mongoose lying wet and still on the grass.
2. Teddy's father wrapped him up in an old woollen muffler and placed him near the fire.
3. In the mornings, he came for breakfast sitting on Teddy's shoulder. Teddy gave him a banana and a boiled egg. The mongoose enjoyed the breakfast.
4. One morning, Rikki-Tikki was wandering about in the garden. There he saw Nag, the big cobra and his wife, Nagina.
5 Teddy's father who had entered the bathroom hearing the loud thud had killed him.

III. BED IN SUMMER

• Who is the speaker of the poem? Is it a child or a grown-up person?
Answer: The speaker of the poem is a child

• Why does the child have to dress up by candlelight?
Answer: In the winter season, it is so dark even in the morning. So the child has to dress up by candlelight.

• Why does the child have to stay in bed?
Answer: In the summer season days are very long. Though it is not yet dark the child has to bed on time. So the child has to stay in bed.

• Have you had such an experience of being in bed while your friends were playing? How did you feel then?
Answer: Yes, when I had a cold. My friends came to my house and called me. But I could not go with them. I felt sad

• Do grown-ups allow you to play whenever you want to? Do they control you always? What will you do then?
Answer: My parents allow me to play in holidays. But not always. They allow it only in the evening. I wish to play always. But I must obey whatever they said.

• Are there children around you who have to be in bed while you are playing? Do you know them? What makes them lie in bed? What can you do for them?.
Answer: My neighbour Anil cannot play outside. He is a heart patient. So I usually go to his home and spend a few hours with them. Sometimes we play indoor games like chess, carroms, ludo, etc. Then he will be very happy.

Activity 1
Identify the rhythm of the song given below and add more lines to it.
If I Find...
If I find a tailor's son,
He will teach me how to stitch;
He will stitch, I will stitch,
we will stitch together.
If  I find a painter’s son,
He will teach me how to paint;
He will paint, I will paint,
we will paint together.
If I find a driver's son
He will teach me how to drive
He will drive, I will drive,
We will drive together

Activity 6
Study the situations given. You may write three different expressions to seek permission.
You are late to school. The class has begun.
• May I come in, please?
• Excuse me, may I get in?
• Can I come in, please?

You want to go home early from school.
• May I go home early, please?
• Excuse me, may I go home early today?
• Can I go home early, please?

You forgot to take your pen. Your friend’s pen is on the desk. You want to take it.
• May I take your pen, please?
• May I borrow your pen, please?
• Let me take your pen, please?

Activity 7
On the tree shown below you can see letters of certain words. But they are only the parts of a word. You can join the parts and form meaningful words. To help you identify the words, the following clues are provided.
1. A bed made of ropes tied between trees to hang on - hammock
2. To make somebody feel better - comfort
3. With shyness - bashfully
4. A person or an animal that travels with you or spends time with you - companion
5. A piece of equipment for climbing up and down a wall or a tree - ladder
6. To allow somebody to do something - permit

Activity 8
Complete the passage by choosing the words given in brackets.
(bashfully, ladder, permit, companion, comfortably, hammock)
One day Yasuaki-chan went to meet Totto-chan.
She was the only companion of  Yasuaki-chan.
But Totto-chan was sleeping comfortably in a
hammock in the garden. Yasuaki-chan called
her. But she did not wake up. Yasuaki-chan
looked around. He saw a ladder. He took
it and somehow kept it against the tree. He tried
to climb up the ladder. Some of  his friends saw
this and they did not permit him to climb
up. He looked at them bashfully. Totto-chan
woke up and saw Yasuaki-chan standing near the
ladder. She came down and helped him climb up
the tree.

Editing
Totto’s Diary
Like all other children at Tomoe, I too have a tree of my own.
Yesterday I Yasuaki-chan invited to climb my tree. It was really
a pleasant experience. Yasuaki-chan was thrill. He was wait for
me when I reached the school. I pulled out a ladder from the
shed near school. But Yasuaki-chan cannot climb it. Then I
brought stepladder. Then  Yasuaki-chan could climb to the top
of the ladder. But he is not able to climb onto the tree. I pull
him onto the tree. We sat on the fork of the tree. We talked for
a long time. Yasuaki-chan tell me about television. He said that
we could watch sumo wrestling in that box. But how can a sumo
wrestler a small box get into! Is Yasuaki-chan telling a lie? No,
he is my best friend. He don't tell a lie, especially to me.
Edit the passage and rewrite it.
Answer:
Like all other children at Tomoe, I too have a tree of my own.
Yesterday I invited Yasuaki-chan to climb my tree. It was really a pleasant experience. Yasuaki-chan was thrilled. He was waiting for me when I reached the school. I pulled out a ladder from the shed near the school. But Yasuaki-chan could not climb it. Then I brought a stepladder. Then  Yasuaki-chan could climb to the top of the ladder. But he was not able to climb onto the tree. I pulled him onto the tree. We sat on the fork of the tree. We talked for a long time. Yasuaki-chan told me about television. He said that we could watch sumo wrestling in that box. But how can a sumo wrestler get into a small box! Is Yasuaki-chan telling a lie? No, he is my best friend. He didn't tell a lie, especially to me. 

Project Work
You have read about the achievements of  Vaikom Vijayalakshmi, the singer. There are many such differently-abled people in Kerala who are well-known in their respective fields. Find out a few of them and their achievements. You can gather information from sources like magazines, books, internet etc. Collect pictures and details and add and compile a collection of profile.
Answer:
Guinness Pakru
Ajay Kumar (born 31 August 1976), popularly known as Guinness Pakru, is an Indian actor. He has made an entry into the Guinness World Records for being the shortest actor (2 ft 6 in (76 cm))[1] to play a character in a full-length film. He played the lead role in Athbhutha Dweepu, a Malayalam movie directed by Vinayan. He started his career as a mimicry artist and later moved to film. By age 18 he had completed 1000 mimicry stages.
Pakru was the director of the Malayalam movie Kutteem Kolum, in which he also played the lead role. He may be the shortest director in filmdom. 











ഈ ബ്ലോഗിലെ എല്ലാ പോസ്റ്റുകളും ഒരുമിച്ച് കാണാനും ആവശ്യമുള്ളവ എളുപ്പത്തിൽ തിരഞ്ഞെടുക്കാനും ഇവിടെ ക്ലിക്കുക.

PSC Solved Question Papers ---> Click here 
PSC TODAY's EXAM RESULTS ---> Click here
PSC EXAM PROGRAMME -> Click here
CURRENT AFFAIRS QUESTIONS -> Click here
PSC Degree Level Questions & Answers - Click here
PSC 10th, +2 Level Questions & Answers - Click here
PSC SHORTLISTS -> Click here
PSC RANK LISTS -> Click here
TEACHING APTITUDE TEST (K-TET, C-TET,, etc.) ---> Click here