STD 7 English Unit 04 Rhythms of Life: To My Mother, Somebody's Mother - Questions and Answers


Study Notes for Class 7th English Unit 04 Rhythms of Life - To My Mother, Somebody's Mother | Text Books Solution STD VII English - Rhythms of Life | Activities | Teachers Handbook

Unit 04 Rhythms of Life - Textual Questions and Answers & Activities
Answer the Following Questions

To My Mother

1. Did you enjoy reading these lines? Why?
Answer: Yes, I really enjoyed reading these lines. The lines convey the mutual love between a mother & her son. This shows the warmth of their relation.

2. What is the child’s offering to the mother?
Answer: The child offers sweet flowers of love along with his prayers for her long life and happiness.

3. What does the child get from the mother?
Answer: The mother wishes her child great happiness along with her blessings.

4. Now, collect similar lines about mother.
Mother's love is something
that no one can explain,
It is made of deep devotion
and of sacrifice and pain,
It is endless and unselfish
and enduring come what may,
For nothing can destroy it
or take that love away,
it is patient and forgiving
when all others are forsaking

You have told me
All the things
I need to hear
Before I Knew l was required to listen to them
To be unafraid
Of all the things
used to fear,
Before I knew
I shouldn't fear them.

Activity
1. The saying 'God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers' shows the significant role of the mother in our lives.
You may feel like writing something about your mother.
Attempt a few sentences.
Answer: 
My mother is an ordinary woman but she is my superhero. In every step of my life, she supported and encouraged me. Whether day or night she was always there for me, no matter what my condition is. She helps me every day. She does a lot of work at home along with her office job. She cooks my favourite dishes, helps me get ready for school, helps with my homework and takes me out shopping. I love her a lot.

2. Here are a few greeting cards. Have a look at them.
What are the features that you notice in these cards? Discuss.
Now, prepare a Thank you card  for your mother, to be given on 'Mother's
Day' or on her birthday.
How do you prepare a Thank you card? Make use of the following hints.
• simple and expressive language
• appeal
• layout
• pictures
• creativity
Happy mother’s day mom. Thank you for always being there for me. Love you!

Every year we celebrate September 5 as Teachers’ Day. Prepare Thank you cards for your teachers.

Somebody's Mother

The poem is written by Mary Brine, a famous poet and lyricist. This poem is included in " The best-loved poems of the American People". The poem mentions about an old lady standing at a signal to cross the road but is afraid of doing so.

Answer the Following Questions
1. What was the woman's condition? Pick out the words in support of your answer.
Answer: The woman was old and weak.
''She was ragged and grey and bent with the chill of the winter's day''

2. What did she want to do? Why did she find it difficult?
Answer: She wanted to cross the road. She found it difficult because the road was wet with recent snow and she was very weak.

3. How did the passers-by behave? Why were the boys merry?
Answer: The passersby didn't mind her. The school had been let out. So the kids were merry.

4. Why was the old woman afraid to cross the street?
Answer: She feared the carriage wheels or the horses' feet would crowd her down in the slippery street.

5. What did the boy do to help her?
Answer: The boy gave her his strong arm to put her hand on and helped her cross the road.

6. What was the boy proud of? Why?
Answer: The boy was proud that he had strong arms and firm feet. So that he could guide the old woman to cross the road.

7. How did he explain his deed?
Answer: The boy hopes that somebody will also help his mother when she is old and her own son is far away.

8. What did the old woman pray that night?
Answer: She prayed to God to be kind to the noble boy.

Activity
1. Read the poem once again and answer the following questions.
Identify from the poem the lines or expressions that suggest the following.
• The woman was very weak.
• The attitude of the people.
• The boy as a contrast to the other boys.
• The noble character of the boy.
• The boy's concern for his own mother.
• The old woman’s love for the boy.
Answer:
• The woman's feet were aged and slow.
• Nor heeded the glance of her anxious eye.
• He paused beside her, and whispered low, I'll help you across, if you wish to go.
• He guided her trembling feet along,
• And I hope some fellow will lend a hand
To help my mother, you understand,
If ever so poor, and old and grey,
When her own dear boy is far away.
• God be kind to the noble boy,

2. Look at the line
'Nor offered a helping hand to her,'
The sound of the letter 'h' is repeated in the words 'helping', 'hand' and 'her'. This kind of repetition of consonantal sounds is called alliteration.
You have already come across alliteration in Volume I of the English
Textbook.
Find out other examples of alliteration from the poem ‘Somebody’s
Mother.’
Answer: So meek, so timid, afraid to stir

3. Look at the last words in lines 1 and line 2. They sound alike. They are rhyming words.
Find out the other rhyming pairs of words in the poem.
Here is a list of rhyming words.
Write a few lines of your own using some of these
words or other rhyming words of your choice.
e.g.
For days I keep a true wish
That I should learn to catch fish
Answer:
The children like the ocean shore.
We want to leave but they want more.

4. Using the couplets you have created, write a poem on any topic of your choice.
Answer:
The children like the ocean shore.
We want to leave but they want more.
They keep playing on the shore.
And keep saying they want more.
They like to chase the butterfly.
But it flew into the sky.

5. Read an acrostic poem about ‘mother.’
Can't you write a similar poem about your mother? Attempt one.
Answer:
M is for making sure f don't get into trouble
O is for offering to help me with my science projects
T is for talking to me when I need you to listen
A is for Helping me with my homework
E is for everything else that you do for me!
R is for a really special mom.













TEACHING APTITUDE TEST (K-TET, C-TET,, etc.) ---> Click here